Iran oil tanker attacked off Saudi coast

Поделиться:


An Iranian-owned oil tanker has been attacked in the Red Sea off the coast of Saudi Arabia, Iran's foreign ministry says.

The ministry said the tanker Sabiti had been hit twice, causing some damage.

Earlier Iran's national oil company (NIOC) said two explosions on the vessel had been caused "likely by missiles".

But it dismissed earlier reports quoting it as saying the missiles were likely to have come from Saudi Arabia.

In recent months "other sabotage acts" had been carried out against Iranian tankers in the Red Sea and these were being investigated, foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said.

The incident took place at 04:50 (01:50 GMT) about 95km (60 miles) from the Saudi city of Jeddah, Iran's Mehr news agency said.

Two of the vessel's tanks were struck. There were no reports of injuries.

The Sabiti is now sailing towards the Gulf, Mehr said.

The reports have so far only come from Iranian sources. There has been no comment from Saudi officials.

Iranian state TV earlier identified the vessel as the Sinopa, but the NIOC later said it was the Sabiti.

Pictures allegedly taken on Friday aboard the Sabiti have been published by Iranian state TV, showing no visible signs of damage.

 

2018 OneNews.All rights reserved. Website design and development SeoMarik |